Tuesday, February 9, 2010

This just in...

Going through kidney disease is full of surprises. One thing I never expected was to be in the news. But's that exactly what happened tonight when CBS 11 TV in Dallas-Fort Worth ran our story on the 10:00 news, telling how I was giving my wife a "kidney" valentine.

A family member sent a tip to the station and the TV crew came to our house last night - reporter Carol Cavazos and videographer Kristen. They were very friendly people and took a lot of interest in our story. April and I felt comfortable with them right away, as if they were a couple of old friends who had dropped by to visit. They spent about 2 hours with us. It's amazing how much work goes into a 90-second clip. You can watch it at http://cbs11tv.com/local/kidney.transplant.valentines.2.1483326.html.

We are pretty low-profile people, but we were glad to make our story public in the hope it will increase awareness of kidney donation. Perhaps it will inspire even one or two people to consider donating and helping the 105,622 people currently on the waiting list for a transplant.

I just finished a cool, refreshing bottle of magnesium citrate as part of the preoperative preparation. What fun! But get this: April doesn't have to enjoy this delicacy. In fact, she could even eat all the way up to midnight, while I have been on clear liquids since 3 p.m. How does that work?

Well, tomorrow is the big day. I don't really feel very nervous. I think it is because I feel so confident in our surgical team and the hospital, and we have been so well informed every step of the way. Also, this surgery could not possibly be as bad as watching April go through all the suffering she has over the last year. Hopefully, this is the end of that, so let's get this party started. I'll probably be a lot more anxious tomorrow. We'll see.

We have to be at the hospital at 5:30 a.m. So it's time to get some rest.
Good night...Rob

2 comments:

  1. Dr. Gillespie- Just want you and April to know that I am thinking of the both of you and praying for you bot. I hope all goes well today. Hope for an update soon.

    Julie Jolly RN

    ReplyDelete
  2. I work with your nephews, Jesse & Mike. Jesse has kept us posted on your situation from the beginning. It's such a loving thought to see you two giving of yourselves unselfishly, especially you Rob. I can see how very much you both love each other and we are really praying that this will give you and April many many years to keep on loving each other in the future!

    ReplyDelete

If you are posting without signing in ("anonymously") be sure to include your name in the text. Unless you truly want to be anonymous.