Friday, February 12, 2010

Friday update

April continues to do well. She looks great and feels great. Her creatinine is down to 1.1, from 5 pre-transplant, and she unloaded 7 liters of edema. The kidney looks great on ultrasound. April was excited to see how it looked and all the blood flow on the ultrasound. The surgeon commented that it was larger than he expected but a perfect fit in April's space. Of course it was. April and I have always been a perfect it. The kidney was made to go there - we just didn't know that until recently. Here's what it looks like. Not many people have pictures of their own kidneys.



Well, wouldn't you know it - we get a foot of snow in the Metroplex and we miss it!

This has been harder on me than I expected. They had warned me that the surgery is much more difficult for the donor, but still I did not expect this. Yesterday I learned how morphine causes urinary retention and the treatment for that with a catheter. Last night I experienced the worst pain of my life, but luckily Diluadid saved the day. It turns out all opiates seem to cause urinary retention in me, so now I have a foley again. This is not fun. The pain is better today - I can actually get out of bed - but nausea is nagging me. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are posting without signing in ("anonymously") be sure to include your name in the text. Unless you truly want to be anonymous.