Wednesday, February 17, 2010

One week anniversary

Hi Everyone,
Finally a note from the transplant recipient herself. Well today I am a week post transplant and things are going fabuously with me. Rob and I continue to improve on a daily basis. But he is right when he says that I am ready to run a marathon. I have never felt better, thanks to his wonderful gift of a great kidney. My labs and energy level continue to amaze me on a daily basis. They told me that I would have a down time of decreased energy and it has not happened, so I am thankful for that. But my heart has never felt more over filled with love and support, not only from my husband but from all of you. As many of you, I am also an oncology/bone marrow transplant nurse. Therefore now I have a very different understanding of the gift of life and second chances at that life, then before when I was only a nurse and not a recipient too. Many people do not understand that kidney transplantation is not a cure, just the best form of treatment we have for end stage kidney disease, and we have to do everything possible to take care of this precious gift we have received. No less mine was from my loving husband and soulmate Rob. So many people have posed the question of am I going to be diligent about my meds and transplant care, and the answer is definitely yes. Because to me transplantation is the greatest gift from someone and it should never be taken for granted. Just because you feel so good does not mean that you are cured or can stop taking your medicines or seeing your doctors. So on that note we will update you tomorrow after I have my clinic follow up with the wonderful nephrology group that I am seeing here in Houston. May all of you have great evening and as always you are in our thoughts and hearts.

-April

Rob says...
I can't say it better than her but it certainly has filled my heart with joy to see April looking and feeling so good. Today is our "one week anniversary" and in that short time we have seen dramatic changes in her energy, skin tone, muscle tone and just general joie de vivre. One kidney was a very small price to make all that happen. Those of you who thought April was a whirlwind of energy before...oh boy...I am in trouble...
I'll share a funny exchange from our last clinic visit:

Doctor: "What time did you take your Prograf today?"
April: "At 7:09."
Doctor: "Are you sure it wasn't 7:08 or 7:10?"

I don't think they are accustomed to people being so punctual! But the nephrology group here is fantastic. They are all such nice people and they are taking great care of April.
I'm doing well too. I still have some trouble with pain and nausea, but I'm getting more flexible. The only thing that really gives me trouble now is putting on socks or tying my shoes. Hooray for clogs! The steri-strips are not anywhere close to falling off. I expect most will still be in place at my retirement party.
Thanks for all the love. We feel it.
-Rob

1 comment:

  1. Rob and April - you are in our prayers now that we have a way of being in touch until you return home. Glad to hear all went so well and you look great. David and Nancy Pike

    ReplyDelete

If you are posting without signing in ("anonymously") be sure to include your name in the text. Unless you truly want to be anonymous.