Thursday, February 4, 2010

Pre-op visit

We have met both of our surgeons - Dr. Link, who will do the donor procedure, and Dr. Gaber, who will do the "installation" surgery. Both are very well respected surgeons. They both have excellent bedside manners, and we liked them and felt comfortable with them immediately. I am very confident in this caring and experienced team. I feel very good about the upcoming procedure. I am quite nervous about it, but I have no doubt we are both in very good hands.

I actually worked at Methodist for one year when I was a senior in college. I was a phlebotomist for the inpatient lab service. It was a very interesting job, especially for an aspiring doctor. I met many interesting people. I also learned a lot about the culture of Methodist, and they have a lot in common with Cook in that they truly value excellence, teamwork and patient-centered care. I can tell you from my own experience and that of others, this is not always the case at adult hospitals. This, and Dr. Gaber's stellar reputation, are why we chose to go to Houston for this procedure.

Surgery is scheduled for Wed., February 10 at noon. Watch for updates!
-Rob

2 comments:

  1. WOW... best of luck, you and your wife are in the prayers of me and my family! Here is to a new chapter in your life, Your Translator, Michelle Mtz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rob and April:
    You are in my thoughts and I am wishing you the best of success. I know the next week or two will be a difficult period for each of you. Please let us know how everything goes for you.
    Sincerely,
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete

If you are posting without signing in ("anonymously") be sure to include your name in the text. Unless you truly want to be anonymous.