Friday, February 19, 2010

Day 9..still going strong

April had another follow-up visit yesterday and her labs continue to look good. The nephrologist was very happy with the results and we were too.

The flower bouquet is one I made for April so she would have some flowers in her hospital room. They are all artificial, since new transplant patients cannot have live plants or flowers. I'm impressed with how real the silk flowers can look. A couple of nurses, and even April herself, got a little excited until I reassured them they were fake.

This paragraph will only make sense to you if you are a kidney or medical person. April is having a field day eating phosphorus with reckless abandon, even though she still instinctively reaches for a binder each time. She has dropped 17 pounds [update: no, make that 24] of water weight since transplant (where did put all that fluid?) And that's without a drop of diuretic! She is eating like crazy to gain lean body mass. I like this diet - eat all you want and lose 17 pounds in a week. I don't think it will work for me, although I have lost 8 pounds, another good reason to be a kidney donor. (The kidney only accounts for about 1/4-1/3 pound of that.)

Nothing else to report on the Western front tonight. -Rob

4 comments:

  1. Rob and April,

    I've been following your blog and Dad has kept me updated on your progress. I'm so happy you are both feeling so much better! As always I am sending love and support.

    Your Sister Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob and April:
    I'm so glad you're doing well. I can tell this has really been an experience for you. I hope you get better each day and will soon be back up north here with us.
    All the best,
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. Gillespie, I am so glad that you and April are doing so well. You both continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. I hope you to continue to improve and both out running that marathon together soon.

    Julie Jolly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to know things are still going well. You continu to be in our prayers.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

If you are posting without signing in ("anonymously") be sure to include your name in the text. Unless you truly want to be anonymous.